Monday, December 17, 2007

Part Three, because I got my second wind.

Must be all the hot air emanating from my DVD drive.

Conspiracy theory drivel follows, the secret was kept a secret by some unknown "people in power" group. We are shown black and white footage of people working in factories. It appears to me that, if everyone knew the secret, the industrial revolution wouldn't have taken place.

More from Beckwith, let's see if he comes up with number 2 now.

"We live in a universe...in which there are laws. {Mumbled} there is a law of gravity, if you fall off a building, it doesn't matter if you're a good person or a bad person...you're gonna hit the ground."

Genius. Fill up the DVD with pointless rambling, that should up the runtime! It's a valid movie, damn it!

Joe Vitale is here to "be a little bit in your face" and inform you that you've attracted everything in your life. Even the things you disagree with. He's in your face! You're responsible. Trust him, he's a metaphysian. He feels that this responsibility concept is the hardest one to get, but once you accept it, it will transform your life. "This is part of the overall giant secret here". Now it's a giant secret. I can't wait to hear more.

They don't encourage us to monitor our thoughts - "that will sort of make you crazy". A very short while ago, we were encouraged to "choose your thoughts carefully". I spy, with my little eye, something that begins with "y" and ends with "et another massive contradiction in this gaping hole where logic goes to die". There are so many thoughts coming at us, from so many different sources, that we need (and have, how convenient) an "emotional guidance system". Now we see tattoo style graphics, to explain this guidance system.


This "emotional guidance system" helps us to understand what we are thinking. I am very interested in the human mind and in consciousness in particular. I can say with 100% certainty (yes, I am naturally risk-averse and would usually hedge my bets with a 99,9%, but I've read Dan Dennett's "Consciousness Explained" and I think I can talk about this subject with confidence) that there is no such thing as an "emotional guidance system" that helps us understand what we are thinking. So these people don't know squat about the mental processes involved in thinking, either. I'm not too surprised.

I'm almost laughing at the next bit, but he's not joking. Our emotions are an "incredible gift that we have, to let us know what we are attracting". No, they are not. Emotions are "an affective state of consciousness in which joy, sorrow, fear, hate, or the like, is experienced, as distinguished from cognitive and volitional states of consciousness." They are not gifts, at least not intentional ones. They are a product of the evolutionary process. In some instances, they can be a curse. Emotional pain is a terrible thing to suffer and hardly a "gift". They don't let us know anything that we don't already know. Emotions are reactionary. Events happen, emotions follow. If you are sad, that is not your "emotional guidance system" informing you that you are busy attracting sad events. I find this idea extremely offensive. And ignorant.

Oh my. "There are only two emotions, from our perspective." Want to guess what they are? No, really, try guessing.



The two emotions are: (are you ready for this?)

Good. Bad.

Yup. The entire gamut of human emotions can be condensed into "good" or "bad". They group guilt, anger and frustration under "bad" and say that they all feel much the same. Don't fall off your chair now - I don't agree with this. Occasionally, for me and for others I know, feeling sad is a good emotion. We wallow in self-pity and enjoy it. Occasionally, we enjoy crying - it feels good. Frustration can be good, the type of frustration you feel when you're stuck at a particularly difficult level of a computer game, or mathematical problem. It's a fun frustration. Anger, at times, was necessary for me to excel in kickboxing. It felt good. In any case, let's meet them halfway. Generally speaking, we could classify our emotions into "good" and "bad" categories, although all emotions are good, from a mental health perspective. I wouldn't want to, but they did, so let's see where they go with this.

When you experience a "bad" emotion, that is your system telling you that what you are thinking about is not in line with what you really want. Obviously. If I'm sad because my puppy was run over, my "system" is telling me "You feel terrible, because you don't really want your puppy to be run over". Pretty bloody useless system, wouldn't you say?

Dr Ben Johnson starts talking about "another level" being "bad frequency, or bad vibes, or whatever you want to call it". I'm going to go with "new age hippie crap". Next, some concrete advice. Want to know what you're attracting right now? How do you feel? If you feel good - good! "Keep doing that!" Do you think they wear shoes with velcro-fasteners? Serious question.

Our feelings are a form of feedback to us about whether we are "on course or off course". Ok. I can live with that. Our feelings are a type of feedback. They are determined by the events in our lives. Bad things happen, I feel bad. And they can tell me whether I am "on course", to an extent. Everyone wants to be happy, if you're constantly unhappy, you're clearly not on the right course. Innocent statement. Fine by me.

But now they go on to say that, what we are doing while we go through our day-to-day experiences, is offering thoughts that are literally formulating our future experiences. Back to the BS, then, I see. The lady says we can tell by the way we feel whether the things we are moving toward will please us when we get there.

Have you ever really wanted something and felt really happy and excited about it? And then you got it and it sucked? There's her statement, nullified. My feelings told me I'd be pleased and they were wrong. The universe sux0rs! The guy in the scene agrees with me, because he was feeling very happy while he locked up his bike, and he returned to find it stolen. Maybe he should've just left it, without a lock. The universe knew he didn't want his bike to be stolen, so it made some other guy steal it. I guess the thief walked by thinking "I don't want to steal the bike, I don't want to steal the bike" and the universe thought he DID want to steal the bike. Because for the universe, "no" does not mean "no".


"Whatever it is you are feeling is a perfect reflection of what is in the process of becoming". So we can all accurately predict the future. What am I missing?

Now "you're getting exactly what you're feeling about. Not so much what you're thinking about." Isn't that just dandy? I thought this whole "secret" was based on the premise that our thoughts emit certain frequencies that act as a "magnet" in the universe, with positive (affirmative) thoughts being "hundreds of times more powerful" - scientifically proven! - , but now it's more about what we "feel" than what we "think". That's cool too, emotions are all right there in the brain. We just don't have a lot of power over them. What's your current mood? Try changing it, right now. Not so easy. This "most powerful law" is slowly slipping out of reach. Can you feel it?

Let's all spell this out together now: C O N T R A D I C T I O N . Another one.


Haha. "That's why people, when they stub their toe out of bed, they tend to spiral". This lady knocks her alarm clock off the bedside table, stubs her toe, screams, crumples into a heap, ladders her stocking, spills toothpaste on her shirt, is enveloped in some sort of mechanical smoke and possibly misses a train...in one morning. And it's all her fault, because she doesn't know the secret. She has "no clue", according to Bob Doyle. Beckwith again: We can begin, right now, to "feel healthy". We can begin, right now, to "feel prosperous". We can begin, right now, to "feel the love that's surrounding you". "EVEN IF IT'S NOT THERE!"

This is preacher style rhetoric. The repetition of the same concept with different examples, say it three times, end with a dramatic conclusion. He's preaching, brothers and sisters. And sounding very silly doing it.

"And what will happen is, the universe will correspond to the nature of your song."

That's it. 19 minutes, 30 seconds. I leave you with that gem. So far, I've learnt nothing. It's all a sham. I expect heartfelt thanks for this pain I'm going through. I'm doing it in the name of education. And at the expense of my "good vibes".

No comments: